Friday 21 December 2012

I Think I'm Turning Korean, I Think I'm Turning Korean, I Really Think So...

Hello Peeps!

It's been awhile since my last update, but I've been pretty busy with work. I'm pretty sure I'm sleeping right now as I type this. I'm sleep-typing. Comes with the territory of being a Kindergarten teacher.

Anyway, as I continue to immerse myself into the Korean culture, I find that I am slowly starting to blend in. You know, minus my blonde hair.


The subway maps are no longer cryptic runes, and I am more than comfortable walking down the street and seeing the city as my home.

These streets. This is a typical sidewalk here. The red path is supposedly for bikes, but people walk on them anyway. The yellow strips are what I have been told are for the blind so that they can feel where they are going. They are actually very nice looking walks, and very wide.

Another thing I've noticed is that my style has changed. I wear leggings with baggy sweaters like most of the women here do, with giant scarves. And when I say scarves, I mean the big thick knitted ones. They're amazing.

Also, I've started getting more into make up. I've stated before that I was never one for make-up back home, but now, because of the price I've gotten more into them. Also, one other thing that I forgot to mention....


THE FREE GIVEAWAYS! OH MY GAWD IT'S LIKE CHRISTMAS!!

I've gotten a lot of free things from cosmetics stores, and the more you buy, the better the prize.


BEHOLD! The mighty owl blanket! You wear it as a cape and the owl head can be worn like a hood. I put it on and transform into.... OWL GIRL! DEFENDER OF JUSTICE AND FURRY WOODLAND CREATURES!

No really, I do. I jump around my room squawking like a maniac. I get bored. And let's just say that my walls are very thin....

BEHOLD! The mighty... Okay, whatever, it's a cell phone holder. And I very cute one at that. It's wings are pose-able, so you can lay your phone on the side if you want while it charges, or just use it as a stand. Too bad you can't just buy this one, I already have requests from back home for these.

DO NOT FEAR CITIZENS! OWL GIRL SHALL DO HER BEST!!

Moving on, before I embarrass myself further....





My bunny sleepy mask. I've never needed to use one of these until now. My window is huge, like, half the size of my room, so the sun shines in like its coming at me with a vendetta. So, on the weekends when I actually see the sun when I get up, I use it to a get a few extra hours of shut eye.

It's also one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

I bought a teddy bear. He is big.



This guys name is Rilakkuma, and I believe he originates from Japan. All of the kids over here love him, and he has a ton of merchandise.

He is cuddly, and I love him and I hug him and he is mine.

Another thing I've noticed about Korea is the outrageous prices on electronics and appliances.

This 50" TV is over $2000! That's crazy!

This is a microwave. Granted, it's fairly large, but it's still almost $300.

Lol, this one's on sale! In all seriousness though, not a bad price.

So, after weeping at the prices of appliances, I decided I needed a pick me up, so you know what I did?

That's right, I looked at puppies!

This dachshund puppy reminds me of my old dog Copper so much, it's crazy. This little guy looks just like him! And he rolls around on his back just like Copper did! Adorable.

Another thing about Korea that very different from home are it's advertisements and store names.

Exhibit A:

Umm, what? What a bizarre shoe ad. And I don't know about you, but I don't think I want to own a shoe called "The Streaker". A typical conversation would start out like "Hey, what are you wearing?" "Oh, just my streakers."

Again, what?

This makes me giggle. Why is there a clothing store called "Teenie Weenie?" What is that implying? I see they sell men's clothing as well as women's. I don't see any tiny sausages or wiener dogs.

What is this magical place, and what does it do? 


Well, I guess I'll end this post on a big positive note.

Or, you know a large monthly planner. I love things like this, you know they're honest. It's telling you that it has nothing to hide.

Until next time amigos!



 








No comments:

Post a Comment